week six

Things that have transpired in the month and a half I've been dead to the blogging world:

- Virtual Reality Intensive Training seminar: I work at a VR lab, creating 3D avatars (after it was established I'm a whole lot better at making things pretty in Photoshop than making coherent and functional programs with Python).

Here's a texture I made for one of our VR demonstration worlds:


- I took on a second job doing graphics for the Stanford Daily. whoo overcommitment!

- Band roadtrip to U$C, and subsequent GREATESTUPSETEVER, and the subsequent celebratory jubilation/multiple renditions of All Right Now. ROCK ON.

- School.

- I love ArtStudio 60 (the design class) a lot. Projects eat my life, but in a thoroughly enjoyable way. I've never done so much abstract stuff before, but every design 'problem' is such a cool opportunity to play around with ideas and 'visual language' and art and AHH if only I could do this for the rest of my Stanford career. Even when things don't work out, it's all part of the process. Half the time I feel like a three year old mucking around in a sandbox--I have no delusions about my design ability--but I'm driven to keep improving. I stay up til 3 playing around with different compositions, listening to my iPod, and life could not be better. I stop only when I absolutely have to: when there's other work to be done, or I'm so tired my eyes no longer focus.


My only regret is that I have so much work for other classes, and I can't devote as much time to my ideas for projects as they demand.

(above is a half-finished study of a leaf for one of the assignments. I used the cheapest pencils I could find from the bookstore, and a kitchen knife and scalpel to carve the fine white lines. I've done 5 other pieces so far, but my camera broke, so they will remain unshown)

- I've spent $300 on art supples. WHY ARE THINGS SO EXPENSIVE?

- Co-op life: cooking is one of the best forms of procrastination, ever. It's an art that I have yet to master. I like all aspects of cook shifts so far. Chopping vegetables is very zen for me -- I zone out and think of nothing but the knife and the chopping. I like it when things get a little hectic and crazy and there's concoctions boiling and steaming on the stove and everyone in the kitchen is, for the time being, completely devoted to making delicious food.

Still have yet to find the same kind of beauty in bathroom cleans. (am still too concerned about accidentally mixing the bleach and the ammonia and causing a cloud of chlorine gas to fill the house, killing everyone inside. sadface!).

- My inability to keep track of anything/bad luck with electronics deepens: My laptop died (as in, it wouldn't turn on), my camera broke (the lens won't open), I got sand in my cell phone (and can't understand anyone who calls very well anymore), I lost my cell phone charger, and I lost the notebook containing all of my class notes/assignments. I think my desk lamp and my printer are my only devices that have retained their full functionality.

- Full Moon on the Quad: awkwardpants. Highlights include being propositioned by a small Asian girl and a grad student caressing my keytar.

- Poster for an upcoming event on campus. It ended up looking kind of like a book cover. my favorite part of poster design is playing around with fonts. I love fonts. ...but that's a topic for a different post.

Posted bySHELLY! at 5:08 PM  

1 comments:

czy said... November 2, 2007 at 10:01 PM  

Nice! I like the stuff you're producing. I guess I better start spending more time at the art studios >_<

Post a Comment