nature is a cathedral



Many things have transpired since my last post:

- I wrote a 20 page research paper (double spaced!), entitled "Development of Production and Purification Procedures for Calbindin D9k Mutants for Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy". as the title suggests, it is just as thrilling to read as it was to write.
- I finished my lab internship
- I discovered that my laptop was infected with a horrible virus.
- With the help of some more technologically-savvy friends, we deleted everything on my computer, reformatted the hard drive, and then put everything back. and then some. I now finally have Photoshop CS (no more Photoshop Elements!), Office 2007, and a faux Mac OS X! :)
- I left Washington. I don't know when I'll ever return. :( :( :(
- Chilling with the family here in Ohio is great, however. We have a kitty! He's an adorrrrable orange tabby. The fam named him Simba, but I secretly call him Genghis Khan (clearly the better name of the two).
- There are many. many. cornfields in Ohio. So far the stereotypically Midwestern-ness of this town (cornfields, rolling country roads, barns, and farmhouses) is still charming and amusing to me. I'm glad I'm only here for a few weeks before school starts, because I think small town America will quickly lose its charm for me.
- After several indecisive, agonizing hours spent poring over Axess , the undergraduate engineering handbook, and the course bulletin, I've chosen my classes! I am stoked for sophomore year!
- Design I: Fundamental Visual Language (4 units)
- Drawing I: MAKING DRAWRINGS :D (4 units)
- E14 Statics: Using Math to Make Sure Things Don't Fall Down (3 units)
- CS106A: I hope to God I'm Good at Coding Or Else This Class Will be the Bane of My Existence (4 units)
- HARRY POTTER and the Art of Storytelling (2 units)
...5 classes, but only 17 units? troubling.

Actual art update:

I spent the better part of today working on this. Not bad for my first time using Photoshop CS to paint something. I can't blend as well as I can in opencanvas, but, painting in Photoshop is still an amazing experience.

She's supposed to look youthful and mischievous...not pale and...old. I think it's her mouth. haha. At one point, she looked exactly like Angelina Jolie. Which was cool, but not what I was going for.
I redid her features soooo many times, because her face kept looking glassy-eyed and creepy.

[right] Detail shot
[top top left] Full image. Actual size of working image is something ridiculous, like 2600 x 6000 pixels. The reduction in detail when I resize it to more practical dimensions makes me a little sad inside. I SLAVED OVER EVERY EYELASH!

Posted bySHELLY! at 9:17 PM  

1 comments:

Lewis said... September 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM  

Try 8 classes at 19 units. Welcome to dark-...er...engineering, my friend.

By the way, nice work with Photoshop CS. I'm always impressed.

Post a Comment